12.08.2008

It's A New Day


Just Say No. I know they are just three simple words, but to me...I just can't wrap my head around them. Today I read Zen Habits and he talks about learning to say no. I had an AHA moment. This is what he wrote:

Learn to say no. This is crucial if you want to have a simplified schedule. We all receive numerous requests each day, and all of them are demands on our time. If we say “yes” to those requests, we are giving up our time and committing to doing something for someone else. But if those requests aren’t in line with our priorities, then we are usually biting off more than we want to chew. So learn to say “no” instead. Often this is uncomfortable, because we fear it means disappointing others. But learn to tell people that you just don’t have the time to commit to this right now, and often they’ll understand.

When he says, "....we are giving up our time and committing to doing something for someone else.", I had never thought of it in that way. Yes, I understand that I am helping others who are in need, but giving up my time, my time away from myself, away from my family....that puts helping others in a whole new perspective for me.

So, it is a new day and Just Say No, those three little words combined and the understanding of when and who truly needs my help has brought a whole new sunrise to my day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Learning to just say no is a life altering concept. I started doing it a few years back when my stress levels were skyrocketing. It was so hard at the start, but I find it easier with each passing year.