Dear Kids Korps Volunteers,
You are registered to attend one of our favorite signature projects on Sunday, Oct 14 at the Grauer School in Encinitas. Beehive making is so much fun. You will learn so much about the bee world from our bee experts. This service project is one that will make a lasting impact on many needy people in Northern Mexico.
Once completed, these hives will be shipped to Mexico to help promote economic security for poor families in the hills of Mexicali. The Women's Beehive Cooperative in Mexicali, consisting of poor women and their families, produce more than two thousand litres of honey annually to support them and to provide a more nutritional, natural sweetener for family recipes. They also produce beeswax candles and other products for sale to community residents......
Malachy and I went and made a beehive box on Sunday. We had SO MUCH fun! We were all like a bunch of busy bees, ourselves!! The sound of hammers in that great hall was deafening, but we were working sooo hard that we didn't even realize just how loud it was until we stopped!!
There had to be over 100 people there. So many kids having a ball while slinging their hammers. That, I must say, was a little scary. A bunch of kids and Mom's with hammers flying all around. OK, there were Dad's there, too, but they seemed to know what they were doing. Some Mom's looked like they didn't even know what a hammer does!!!!
They had water bottles there for everyone and bowls of apples. Once Malachy found the apples, he sort of nursed eating it, while I hammered away. Each box needed some 60 nails!! I was actually starting to sweat, but then some friends of mine came over and helped me finish. I think they noticed my distress and you know kids, seriously, give them a hammer and some nails and all of a sudden they could work all night long. Yet, give them a pencil and some paper and have them do their homework!! OMG - talk about excuses flying around, I'm always dodging them, it's quite tiring. Maybe homework should involve some nails and wood or something, my kids will be begging for more. Yeah, right!!
There's a picture of my friend's AnaMarie and Claire, helping out with our box.
So now that we made the beehive boxes, we were all invited to go to Mexicali and see the beehive operation in action. How cool is that?! And, oh yes, we will be going to see them. I mean we do live with a loco Mexican. Don't worry, he agrees with me about the LOCO part and I do mean it in the nicest of ways!! LOL!!! YES, I am laughing out loud right now.
Until next time: Knit-Laugh-Enjoy!!











4 comments:
That sounds like so much fun. I should find more ways to get involved in my community and things such as that. Maybe when Erica's a bit older... I can't even imagine the horror of her with a hammer!
[BTW: I saw a few posts prior to this, you're coffee Q&A. Now I'm in the mood for some coffee. I think I'll go brew some decaf, even though its almost midnight here!
What a great project! I'm glad that you had so much fun and that Malachy is learning such wonderful ways to be involved in service projects to help others. Kudos!
What a great bunch of fun - and you aren't knitting??? Oh wait (biting tongue! lol)Oh I've TAGGED you - because I adore you!! Now about the dishcloth exchange ... xoxo
What a neat thing to do!
Post a Comment