12.05.2007

Mr. Bear and Meditation/Om Mani Padme Hum


Well there is Mr. Bear. Malachy brought him home yesterday. This is the third time this year that he was able to spend time with Mr. Bear. He dresses him for bed and he gets him ready for school in the morning. Mr. Bear is a big deal for a 5 year old. I remember way back when Mark brought Mr. Bear home. Okay, he was a different bear, but the same concept and boy did he have fun with Mr. Bear. Heck, I even remember Matthew bringing Mr. Bear home, but we won't go there.

I have no knitting content today. Only Mr. Bear. I am still working on the last 3 squares for the afghan and I started the scarf. I really need to get the dischloths going since the last day of school is on the 20th. Yes, you heard that right. Apparently, our public school system really believes in vacation time. They take it to a whole new level. Seriously, I don't know how they have enough material to give grades out. I really don't. Shoot, last month Matthew had late start day on every Wednesday. He already gets late start days one Wed. a month. I don't know why November needed a whole week off for Thanksgiving and on top of that all of those late start days. Man, when I went to school there were no late start days and our Holiday vacation for Thanksgiving started after school on Wed. and we were back to school on Monday. That is still how it is in NY. Is California sooooo laid back that the teachers need alot of time off. For what, all the meditating they need to get through just one more day with my kids. Because, heck, I know all about the meditating to get through just one more hour with my kids, sometimes, you know, sometimes!!

Okay, breathe......Inhale, Exhale, Inhale, Exhale :) Om Mani Padme Hum, which means:

Om (ohm) Ma (mah) Ni (nee) Pad (pahd) Me (may) Hum (hum) the u is pronounced like the oo in book.

The Powers of the Six Syllables

"The mantra Om Mani Pädme Hum is easy to say yet quite powerful,
because it contains the essence of the entire teaching. When you say
the first syllable Om it is blessed to help you achieve perfection in the
practice of generosity, Ma helps perfect the practice of pure ethics,
and Ni helps achieve perfection in the practice of tolerance and
patience. Päd, the fourth syllable, helps to achieve perfection of perseverance, Me helps achieve perfection in the practice of concentration, and the final sixth syllable Hum helps achieve perfection in the practice of wisdom.

So in this way recitation of the mantra helps achieve perfection in the six practices from generosity to wisdom. The path of these six perfections is the path walked by all the Buddhas of the three times. What could then be more meaningful than to say the mantra and accomplish the six perfections?"

So, with that said, I do hope that my sons teachers practice meditation and start each day with: Om Mani Padme Hum.

Until next time: Knit-Laugh-Enjoy and go meditate, it does a mind good :)

3 comments:

Becky L said...

Gee, I was having trouble getting to comment here. My computer and blogger aren't getting along right now!

Anonymous said...

Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni ni Ni ni etc..........

Karla said...

I'm not familiar with Mr. Bear, but what a cute photo.