8.28.2008

For The Love Of Going Green


You know, I am all about going green. Little things that we all can do to make a smaller footprint on this earth. I just picked up a cute little book from Target called: Green Chic

It is a great little book, printed on recylced paper! She gives you advice on how making just small changes can make, literally, a world of difference. Here are a few that I already am doing or have added since reading this book.

Of course, I use cloth napkins and I just recently was gifted with organic cotton dish towels. They are from Target and they are luscious. They work so well. I use rags that I knit myself for cleaning counters and I made a swiffer cover for my mop! If you have not already, lower the temp in your fridge to 38-40 degrees. I always BYOB...bring my own bag! and of course, I walk, walk, walk whenever my kids and I can. She talks about tampons....she gives a few options for organic cotton disposable tampons. Now, I don't know why, but she never mentioned the Diva Cup. Let me tell you, that little sucker is an amazing invention. I first read about it on Crunchy Chickens' blog. By the way, she has great little challenges going on over there every month. The Diva Cup is so great, goodbye tampons, goodbye waste, goodbye dryness! You can read more about it here: Diva Cup

Did you know that instead of using bug repellant with DEET in it, you can make your own and it protects better than DEET. A few drops of Catnip essential oil and a few ounces of water, spritz and you are good to go. I did not read this in Green Chic, but it's great to know and easy to do.


Here is a little about what the author has to say:

10 GREEN CHIC-AND EASY-WAYS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Ditch bottled water: refill a sassy thermos.
- Pop little purchases in your purse, not a shopping bag.
- Sip biodynamic wine.
- Choose cashmere, not acrylic.
- Let your hair air dry for a while before you blow dry: less frizz, less energy consumed.
- Unplug (and put away) unsightly cell phone chargers.
- Opt for quality over quantity in everything you buy.
- Cut down on clutter.
- Limit your consumption of anything packaged in plastic.
- Support local designers.

BUT REMEMBER:

Don't go out and replace everything you own, from your makeup to your wardrobe to your furniture, with (theoretically) ecofriendly products. Being ecofriendly means consuming less, not more. Get in the habit of thinking before you buy. The best time to purchase ecofriendly goods is when you need them. That's when you're in a position to make a choice and express yourself as a green consumer.

Being Green isn't a fad ... it's timelessly chic.

These are just a few ideas. Walk to the library and check this cute little book out. You might find some eco-friendly and easy ideas that you can adopt for yourself and your family.

Knit-Laugh-Enjoy and Go Green!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The DIVA CUP is AWESOME!!! I also made my own pads (with fused grocery bag liner) and soak and wash them with oxyclean. This is actually not so gross since it is really just back up.

Also, read my blog on Diatomeasous Earth for pest control. Completely natural - a crystaline algea - and it is good for everything from fleas to roaches

allthingspurple said...

I haven't tried diva cup yet, although I am on cloth pad.