10.20.2008

It's A Book Tag

It's a book tag I saw on Jan's Gems blog today and thought I would join in. Here goes:

Here are the "rules":

Grab the nearest book. Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your journal/blog along with these instructions. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. Tag five other people to do the same.

"It's all just parts and relationships and analyses and syntheses and figuring things out and it isn't really here It's somewhere else, which thinks it's here, but's a million miles away. This is what it's all about. He's on this dimensional difference which underlay much of the cultural changes of the sixties, I think, and is still in the process of reshaping our whole national outlook on things."

That is from, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". It sounds so funny, taken out of context like that. Oddly enough, I have this book next to me at work and whenever I have a few minutes of downtime I pick it up. Funny, I read this book originally when I was only about 16. I gave it to Matthew to read (he's 15) and he said it's boring and all they talk about is motorcycle maintenance. I told him to read on and get the underlying messages throughout, but he read to 100 and decided to read it again at another time.

Which brings me to the book I am currently reading. At first it was slow going, actually for the first 198 pages or so it sort of just dragged on and then bam. It became VERY interesting. Interesting in the fact that it made me think, really think about, How well do we really know someone?. The book is by Anita Shreve, The Pilot's Wife.



How well do we ever really know someone? Interesting, we may think we know others, especially those we share our lives with, but when they are away or not with us or just hiding in themselves, things they don't share with us. Do you ever hide anything from your closest, even something you think trivial or maybe not so trivial.

How well do we know someone? or How well do we think we know someone? Makes you think...

4 comments:

Janet said...

Corinne~
Thanks for the link and for playing. Isn't it funny how something sounds out of context.

The Pilots Wife sounds interesting. Hmmm, hide things from my closest? Does chocolet and money count?
Janet

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fifi Flowers said...

FUN to see the tag continue!

Amy V. said...

hmm. Even the tidbit you wrote about it makes you think.

Isn't there always something new to know about a person?

---
Did you get to see Ironman yet?