I love reading Leo Babauta's blog....Zen Habits. He gives you wonderful advice on so many different topics. On Wednesday, March 11, 2009 I received this blog post in my e-mail box, where he asks his readers, How Do You Find People Who Make You Happy?
The whole time I was reading this post I kept thinking, wow, I don't try to find people who will make me happy. That's not my goal. My goal is to be the happiest person I know how and to be friendly, helpful, grateful, encouraging, supportive, and fun. When I got to his last paragraph that is exactly what he had to say. How can we find happiness in others. We've all heard this before that we find happiness in ourselves. I think even if I am not having a good day, I still smile and laugh and try to always be helpful and grateful. I find that my attitude affects the people who are around me. I always have people ask me why I am so happy all the time.....because I try. If I am feeling less than joyful, I won't stay home and wallow in my sadness. I go out, smile, breath and say hi to everyone....literally everyone. I do, I do it and my friends think I'm crazy, but it makes me happy and people usually smile and wave back. If you have not been to Leo's blog, I suggest you go and visit. Zen Habits
zen habits
Ask the Readers: How Do You Find People Who Make You Happy?
Posted: 11 Mar 2009 03:44 PM PDT
Post written by Leo Babauta. Follow me on Twitter.
How do you find amazing people who will make you happy, when you’re in a new city and don’t know anyone?
Recently reader Ting asked:
“I’ve been studying in a new city for about 6 months now, and I’m considering finding a job after my studies are over. I have this conflict, that I can’t seem to resolve in my heart.
I truly believe that the people around you, make your life worth living. I haven’t met the type of people I’d like to in this city, yet. And I’m afraid I won’t after I’ve committed to a job. I want to be able to be okay with myself, without having to depend on friends/people to be happy. I love this city. But I haven’t found the people that I love.
Should I try to stick it out, work towards separating happiness from friends? (Maybe I just haven’t been going the right places?) Or, should I go somewhere else and try something new?”
I was contemplating this reader’s question, trying to think of what I’ve done in my life that has worked. But then I thought, “I bet my readers can come up with many more answers, more intelligent answers, than I can.”
And so I’d like to leave this question to you, my wonderful and wise (and incredibly attractive) readers: How would you answer Ting’s question?
Personally, I’ve been lucky to have great family members — my wife Eva, my sisters, my parents, cousins, and more — who make me happy. But I know at school and then at work, I also met some amazing people — and for me it was a matter of trying to be friendly, helpful, grateful, encouraging, supportive, and fun, and with an attitude like that, you’ll find people who return the favor.
What are your thoughts?
You are subscribed to email updates from Zen Habits
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery powered by Google
Inbox too full? Subscribe to the feed version of Zen Habits in a feed reader.
3.13.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











3 comments:
"My goal is to be the happiest person I know how and to be friendly, helpful, grateful, encouraging, supportive, and fun"
That is it exactly! Since I've made a more conscious effort I can't believe the difference.
Great post!
Hi...Notes From The Frugal Trenches,
That is it...making a more conscious effort! It is amazing the difference it makes. Happy St. Patrick's Day!!
~Corinne
thanks for the link, what a great website, Zen Habits.
Post a Comment